Headphone amp advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingeth

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi all

So I decided to splurge on a set of open-back headphones (thanks Tax Returns  ;D) that I've been eyeing for a while now, being the Audeze LCD2C's. Got them used for a nice price and still in great condition.

From my research conducted on the usual forums (Head-fi, SBAF, etc.,) it's a general consensus that whilst the headphones are relatively easy to drive, they do like lots of power to get the most out of them. I'm trying to decide between 3 similar-priced amps at the moment that retail for around $100:

- Schiit Magni 3
- Liquid Spark
- JDS labs atom

Power output isn't too dissimilar on them, and each of them should put roughly 1W into the LCD's give or take, which I "think" should be sufficient?  Feel free to correct me if I?m wrong though.

Right now I?m leaning towards the liquid spark, simply because it's easier to source (Amazon ships direct to my door) whereas I?d need to use some form of forwarding service (AGS etc.,) for the other 2. I don?t mind doing this if necessary, as I?ve used such services before when buying through (Mass)Drop.

That said, I also know that power isn't everything and alot depends on amp/headphone synergy.

Until the new amp arrives; I?ll be using the headphones via my portable Fiio Q5 dac/amp to play flac files via Tidal. The Q5 will also serve duty as the DAC once I get the amp. Right now a desktop dac/amp combo isn?t feasible as I don?t have a PC of my own at the moment (and i'm not too keen on using my work laptop as the source as even the Tidal website is blocked  :facepalm:) so for now my phone will continue to serve as my source and unless I?m mistaken there?s no way to use my phone as a source into a desktop DAC.

So to those that have listened to/ owned one of these cans or amps, what would you recommend as a good pairing to bring out the best in these cans?

Thanks in advance,

Latest posts