From something to something else

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naboo

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
[Apologies to [member=22339]Jozua_2019[/member] for semi-plagiarising his title]

A while ago I bought dodgy second speakers at a whim ? not my best decision, but at least it was cheap. In the meantime I have learnt a little bit about speaker drivers and will just put this behind me as a mistake. Two cabinets, inside each were a pair of Philips AD 8080/8 fullrange drivers. One cab had scratchy voice coils in both drivers. I used the opportunity to do a private anatomy class and disassemble the drivers. They are still like that. Anybody want some magnets?

The other two drivers worked fine, and I put each in a cabinet, which were hopelessly too big for the drivers. I also tried them on open baffle but the 8080 is not a high-end driver and there is zero bass in OB. Back into the cabs went the drivers, but I left rear of the cabs off ? better than OB but still very open. I listened to them in my study like this for a while, and it wasn?t great, but at least I enjoyed using them.

Then one fine day I decided that it?s time to make the cabinets a bit smaller. [member=15256]Curlycat[/member] somewhere along the line supplied some plans for cabinets ? there was one specifically for the 8080. I?ve been intrigued by Jozua?s ?From nothing to something? thread. I also have a bit of cut-offs etc. lying around and I figured I could try make new cabs.

So, because these aren?t great drivers, I decided that I am not allowed to spend any money, except on consumables where I really need something. I thought the existing cabs were made out of solid wood (12mm) and I could cover the newer, smaller cabs with this.

The idea is to not spend any money, but spend a bit of time to hone my very poor woodworking skills: that is the primary objective. If something goes seriously pear-shaped, this build might end in the bin. If it doesn?t, I hope to have slightly better sound than when I started, better-looking cabs, but hopefully learnt a bit more about wood-working ? perhaps only that I am no good at it.

That?s all this thread is about: don?t expect a fantastic looking or sounding build! It's there to while away the time, to perhaps lure other would-be builders into attempting something. We can't all be great and meticulous builders - some have to build things that looks like a runt, smells like a ... swamp (mouldy wood) and sounds like Chewbacca's mom during childbirth.

I'll aim to please  :nutter:

Latest posts