Fiber - ISP recommendations and other questions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanties

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
We finally have fiber (Vumatel) in our area and now the big decision as to who to go with. My ADSL is with Afrihost and I do not have any issues with them.  There definitely seems to be a difference in offerings and lots of sales people are roaming the neighborhood from Cell C, Vox etc all trying to convince all to sign with the them.

I am looking at either 50/50 or 100/100 uncapped/unshaped and not throttled line speeds.

Any recommendations will be appreciated?

The second question is I am currently using a Mikrotik Router in bridge mode to my ADSL router. This gives me some control on how much my bandwidth is being molested by the children and their friends. I would like to have the same setup with a fiber router. Is this possible and are there any recommendations for a fiber router that will support bridge mode and login from a Mikrotik router? 

I do not need Wifi from the router as I have 2 x Unifi AP's in my house. I prefer to buy my own router and pay for my own installation. I do not want to be in some 24 month claw back agreement.

Latest posts