Speaker recommendation questions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

R.I.P. 23 June 2023
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, so shoot me if you wish.

I see so many questions on what speaker is better than another, and what speaker to recommend.

In my opinion these are loaded questions, as there are so many factors that can make a difference the preference of the listener and room being the most important.
So to say one is better than another just does not do it for me, unless the comparisons are made in the same room with the same equipment, and naturally taking into account listener preference.
I have heard speakers I have used sound to put it mildly awful compared to what they sound like to me on my set up, yet the proud owner is completely happy.

Every body likes different things in this life and hobby, what rocks my boat might just be a ship wreck to somebody else. So asking the age old question on what is best is like asking why we are here. Different strokes. I cant stand German cars for example does that make me an idiot because I prefer Japanese.
Some are concerned with micro detail, and accuracy (whatever the hell that is, my ears don't get it), others find it annoying and prefer to ignore the speaker and just enjoy the music.
The speaker is the cornerstone of a system, when choosing a speaker I concentrate on the sound signature if it is one I like then that speaker is the one for me.

Knowing what I like and want is all that matters, I have stopped chasing my tail, and box swapping for the hell of it, decided how I prefer to hear my music played and just gone with that.

Now this is just the opinion of somebody who just does not have the means to spend stupid money on kit, kit is not important to me, and even if I had the means my money would be better spent on appreciating assets, not things that tank in price worse than a Range Rover as soon as you take it home.

This is just my preference and opinion and that means nothing compared another's choices.

I do not like to be called an Audiophile, although I do get why others chose to be called that:  I just do not get the one size fits all philosophy.
I love and enjoy all kids of music as long as it takes me on a journey, clears the rubbish out my head and it gives me an emotional experience. Whether it comes from some fancy set up or an AM radio station even SW although that is no longer with us to any extent.

I have been accused of insulting audiophiles, amongst other "things", I am 70 years old and a ginger with a very thick skin, who cant hear what an 18 year old can hear, so what the hell do I know. I do know what I like however, as I am sure all of us do, so once again different strokes.

Latest posts