External USB sound card for active speakers with 3 input 'surround sound'

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinosfronimos

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Another query on external DACs - except hoping to find something really cheap and cheerful...

I have an old set of Creative 5.1 active speakers. They sound really good for PC speakers. But they have those buily-in 3x 3.5mm headphone jack cables to input 'surround sound'.

Now I want to gift these speakers to a friend, to replace her junky 2.1 speakers. But having a laptop (with only 1x headphone output), she would not be able to plug all 3x 3.5mm cables for the 5.1 Creative speakers into her laptop. Many internal sound cards have this 3x 3.5mm connection for PC speakers. However, this is the only external sound card for a laptop that I've found with these connections: https://www.takealot.com/usb-audio-...-card-with-spdif-digital-audio-s/PLID71424768

It doesn't receive great ratings, I'm not sure it even does 2 channel to 5.1 upmixing (this would suit her use case), and there's zero need for the spdif connection. Are there any other better options out there?

Thanks!

Latest posts