Embarking on Solar Stuffs......

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, I've decided that I need to stop cocking around and get on with getting my house better equipped. Like many, the cost of entry is rather more demanding than my wallet would like, so I'm hoping for an experienced people give input.

(For the record, I did look at the GoSolr option, but there is no way I would sign that contract. I get that is a personal thing, but there are things I don't like in it.)

Current situation: 2.2kw Kool Energy hybrid inverter with 4x 100Ah lead acid deep cycle batteries in a 24V configuration. (4 or 5 months old). Currently works as a glorified UPS. It actually works bloody well, but I need to accommodate now and for the future, and I'm done with treating Eskom like a monthly subscription with an ever-increasing cost)

Its has become clear to me that due to Eskom idiocy I need to start making a plan to get my house better prepared to be MUCH less reliant on them.

What I would like to do (BTW, I'm in City of Cape Town)

1. Procure and install a descent 8 KW, 48V inverter, (Sunsynk, etc I’m open to options)
2. Procure and Install 2x Solar panels, configured in such a way that I can just keep adding them every now and then.
3. In the medium term use my existing 4x lead acid batteries in a 48Volt configuration
4. Be configured in such a way that I can begin adding decent Lithium Ion, Hubble or similar batteries in the coming years.

I'm beginning to feel, that what I want to do is small potatoes and not worth the effort for some installers, which is frustrating. Everyone seems to accommodate a "big bang", not a more even handed (read short of cash :LOL: ) approach.

I'm open to commentary recommendations, discussion on this topic, installer recommendations etc.... I've been spending time on powerforum.co.za, but besides being REALLY slow to enable my registered account, a lot of it is waaaaaaaaay over my head. My knowledge of electrical work extends to the glorified UPS I setup with a little guidance.

PS: Last question, everyone says, "buy Sunsync, Victron etc...", however I've yet to find someone to explain to me why these units are so much better than the "cheap and cheerful" hybrid inverters, other than, "they don't break" and "they have cool management tools". Would love to hear feedback, I feel like I'm missing something important....

Latest posts