DAC Losing Connection - Music Fidelity V-DAC 2

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafter

Reaction score
I would really appreciate some advice regarding my DAC losing connection on and off with my laptop. Basically is the DAC toast? :nfi:

I bought the DAC second-hand quite a while ago and it has had connection issues from the start. I bought it to connect my laptop USB output to the DAC via USB 2.0 cable (from Incredible Corruption) to my NAD 3400 amp. Being in a small flat and on a budget, I use my laptop as my media center to play music via Deezer and watch Netflix, Youtube etc. Audio is supposed to play via the DAC and image via HDMI cable to a large desktop computer screen (i.e no speakers).

When I bought the DAC I had an old tired laptop and just assumed that the laptop couldn't keep up. But then I recently got another decent spec laptop and it does the same thing (also when testing through a number of other laptops).

So here's what happens: After playing for a while the audio kicks in and and out between the amp and the laptop internal speakers while making that computer USB connect/disconnect sound (badum-dadum) (don't laugh  :giggle:)

This is what has me extra perplexed, music seems to be more of a problem than video (subjective and not definite). I can sometimes watch an entire movie on Netflix and it doesn't kick out, other times it does and gets into its 'stuck record' cycle which causes Netflix to go into an error message. Last weekend I watched a >7GB movie via VLC no problem. But generally audio via Deezer/YouTube kicks it out much quicker and without fail. I am only playing Deezer at 320kb/s so not exactly large FLAC files either. Also music via VLC/Windows Media Player etc freaks it out.

I have set the laptop to not 'suspend'/disconnect USB ports via the power options settings to no avail.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm really hoping that the DAC is not buggered. I really do enjoy it when it does work!

Latest posts