Complete new AV system...Advice needed :)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenbaas

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys (And gals if there are any present :))

Need some advice on a new system I'm panning to put together trough the course of the year. I've recently qualified and finally started working so I can put some money away for buying some new goodies for the lounge :)

At the moment I still have an old 42" Toshiba rear projection TV which will be upgraded to either a Samsung 50" PS50C450 or a 50" Panasonic. If I can find the panasonic at a reasonable price then i'll rather go for that but if I can't then the Sammy will be fine until next year when I'll consider upgrading to a nicer tv :) I know that the Samsung is only 720P but that will be fine for my interim needs and the extra money can then go to the HT system.

When it comes to amps and speakers I am a complete noob which is why I'm posting here. No better way of sifting through the myriad of articles and different hardware than getting input from you guys.
So for the HT system I was thinking of investing in the Onkyo-TX-SR608. Coupled with that I was looking at the B & W speakers-- B&W MT-25.
My only concern is the sub but for the price of the speakers and the price of a "proper" sub I don't see how I can improve very much on the above.It would also be pretty close to the limit on my budget which would be at a absolute max of R20k.(I can already feel the financial managers hands tightening around my neck)

The system will be used mostly for watching movies, anime etc and playing games (PS3).

Your input is appreciated! :)

Latest posts