Can you mix speaker impedance ratings on a Yamaha RX-V767 amp??

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abe_Parbhunath

Reaction score
Hi all.

Help/Advice needed urgently here!

I have the Yamaha 767 with a 5.1 AR 900 speaker setup.  This amp is rated for 8ohm speakers and the AR's are 8ohms.  I am going to be moving into my new place shortly and now have space for the 2 rear surrounds. I came across a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 speakers which are 6ohms.  The price is right, so i would like to integrate this into my current setup.  I phoned the Audio Vision branch where I bought my stuff from and they said I should not mix speakers of different impedance (it would damage the amp)
I then called another branch of AV and they said it would not affect the amp as it has built in protection.  Ive now done some googling and read through a bit of the manual.
One can change the amp from min 8ohm to minimum 6ohm (but it does this as a generic setting, not per speaker- as far as I can understand).  On min 6ohm you can also run 4ohm.  On my proposed setup, I will be running 5.1 8ohm and just the rears on 6ohm.

Is this fine?  What are the implications or should I rather shop around for 8ohm speakers?

Thanking you AV pros in advance :)

Abe
Durbanville

Latest posts