When to get a bigger centre speaker and bigger rear surrounds? (Bentley FC100 vs FC150 and FR50 vs FR80)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldfritter

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I picked up a Yamaha RX-V475 on Carbonite for a steal, so now I get to spend even more money (yay!) on converting my 2.0 system to 5.1. The fronts are B&W DM303s, but some day I probably want to upgrade to Bentley FS120s or even FS150s. If I want to match my fronts to my centre, the options are the Bentley FC100 or FC150.

I want to buy the centre now though and upgrade the fronts later, since the DM303s are performing quite well for my needs.

(The FC180 seems excessive, and if I get the FC250 then I have to get FS250s, which are likely to be outside of my budget for the foreseeable future).

Is there a reason to go for the FC150 rather than the FC100 in the above budget home-theatre system? The room is not massive, around 4m x 4m, and MLP is around 2.5m from where the speaker will sit, on a shelf in the TV stand below the TV. The shelf is 208mm H x 770mm W, so either would fit inside it.

Similarly, any reason to use FR80s rather than FR50s for the rears? Or I might just use little speakers from an old micro-component system as rears until I upgrade my fronts and can use the B&Ws as rears - but let's assume I want to also buy new speakers as rears.