Using a Marantz SR7005 as a Power Amp for a new Marantz NR1711 Receiver

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johker

Reaction score
Hi All. I am new to the forum and to AV-related discussions in general. I have been a part-time anonymous lurker on these issues, never really attempting to get too involved in the technical discussions, which is way above my pay grade anyways ;-).

I currently have a Marantz SR7005 5.1 setup, paired with a pair of B&W 683 speakers (and a PV1 sub). The other surrounds are wall-mounted B&Ws. This has worked well for me for several years, but now I would like to upgrade to a HEOS-enabled Receiver and a 7.1 setup. One possible solution is to include the Marantz NR1711 AV Receiver, but it it is a bit underpowered for the B&W 683s. In order to get around this, was wondering whether I could retain and repurpose my SR7005 as a power amp for the front speakers.

The NR1711 does have a multichannel pre-out for the fronts. Does anyone know if I can actually use the SR7005 as a power amp in this setup? Another option would be to throw out the SR7005 and replace it with a more powerful AV Receiver (i.e. Denon 3800). This is a less desirable option for me as I would really like to retain my 7005 in some capacity.

Thanks in advance...

Latest posts