Yamaha RX-A2070 Parametric EQ & Lack Of Bass

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYoghurtZA

Reaction score
Hello all

I've been a long time lurker on this site. I chose to share my problem/solution with the community & I hope it helps. Lets start with the basic info:

Amp: Yamaha RX-A2070
Amp Firmware: Latest but the original had the same result.
Power Amp Assign: 7.2 Bi-Amp
Front Speakers: B&W 603 S3

The problem:
After running the "room correction" using the the YPAO mic & setting the Parametic EQ to Flat or Natural the bass was anaemic/non-existent/lacked any punch. You'd think with "big" floor standing bi-amped speakers I'd get a little. To date this is the best system I've had the fortune of owning & I expected more on the low end. I say "more" but how about something? Playing around I noticed that there was more bass when the Parametric EQ was set to off (manual/through). Of course all the mid-high-ed clarity was gone as the EQ was off. Well I wanted the speakers to sound good on the highs/mids & lows.

The solution:
Under: Setup/Speaker/Manual Setup/Parametric EQ/Manual scroll down to PEQ Data Copy & copy the Flat/Front/Natural EQ data to Manual. At this point the sound will be the same, it will still lack bass. Under manual you can now see the EQ curves for each speaker. There's 7 EQ points per speaker with 3 adjustable values per point. Copy all of this info down (photos or pen & paper). Then select PEQ Data Clear, clear the values so that everything in manual is zero'd. Manually re-enter all the EQ data you've recorded. You'll find that your system sounds good & magically now has low end bass that was somehow absent before.

This problem drove me nut's for some time. Now enjoy ACDC Thunderstruck with some punch!

Latest posts