Bookshelf speakers for listening to music

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipodmusicman

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I have this one room in my home that leads into my braai area that started off as a playroom for my son when he was 7, then turned into a pub where I put a TV on the wall.  My son started using this room a lot more than I did where he'll be playing on his Xbox.  So we decided to change it up again and move the bar out of the room and put 2x two-seater couches in there.  Lekker comfy. :)

What I also have in this room is a Yamaha AX-450 amp with an Echo Dot connected to it feeding the outside speakers with tunes from Spotify.  I decided that this would be a good opportunity to also make this room I can come to, pour a scotch and listen to some music to relax after a week's work on a Friday evening or Saturday or whenever the urge takes me to enjoy music.  I even had my turntable repaired too.  But now I am starting to keep my eyes open for bookshelf speakers I can place in this room as I have no speakers in this room.  As my budget is fairly limited, as in very limited, I am considering pre-owned speakers.

When I navigate the classifieds threads on this forum, some options come up - some brands I've heard of, some not, but I tend to fear to progress because of the fact that I cannot plug them into my amp to listen to them myself, not to mention that very few posts for items in Cape Town make their appearance which makes it very more difficult. 

How does one make that decision to go with a pair of speakers without listening to them?  Do you have to take the word of reviewers and trust your gut?  In this day and age where we make many purchases online, suddenly being physically able to audition speakers is the more attractive option, but not always possible.

The last thing I want to do is spend R1500 to R2000 on a pair of speakers and they don't resonate with me.  And yes, I've seen many attractive speaker options at those price points on this forum in good nic.

Latest posts