B&W DS3 surrounds

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS406

AVForums Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of DS3 surrounds from classifieds (thanks PaganMcloud!).

I've used them for a while now and want to share some experiences: let me just state that my listening room for HT is far from ideal... Double volume ceiling, glossy ceramic tiles, glass stack-doors behind me and concrete slabs built-in equipment racks. I could never get a satisfying 5.1 sound and even reverted back to 3.1 for a while.

I installed the DS3 and use 'dipole' mode. At first I could hear nothing at all, the effect were so subtle... I had to touch them to feel vibration to ensure the were working... The more I listened however, the more aware of them I became of the amount of 'space', detail and 'air' they inject into the movie experience - they really improve the 'ambience' more than anything else. Result!!

I'm aware that dipoles are a Marmite thing and not universally liked, but in my case, after experimenting with conventional speakers, dipoles are the only surrounds that work in my quite acoustically challenging living room.

Latest posts