AV receiver and Sub options

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybasoul

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im in a market for an AV receiver and a Sub. Both of these will be upgrades.

Receiver:
Im currently leaning towards the Marantz 6003 or 6004 when it comes to SA. Im wondering if I can get a receiver that sounds better than the Marantz at about the same price range. I will be using it for 60% movies and games and 40% music. The sound quality is very important to me.

It will be hooked to a ps3(games, media server, dvd and avi up-scaling) and a storage device, and maybe later, separate dvd player that will also do video up-scaling. I dont mind if the receiver doesnt upscale video as long as it will support/decode HD audio formats from HDMI, HDMI to tv, and also support most if not all the latest sound formats.
Basically, can I get a receiver that sounds better than 6003/6004, has HDMI in/out, supports HD audio formats?

Ohh, before some one even suggests it, I dont want an Onkyo nor Harmon Kardon. I have auditioned an Onkyo and marantz, and liked the Marantz better with music. Onkyo is like a Swiss knife. I dont like that cause it feels like it will exhaust its selft, some small important component will come loose, or even melt every thing.

Sub hoofer
This is straight and forward. I want to experience -20hz. I want a fast, tight and accurate bass. Question is, can I get a sub that can do this well, +-R10k?

Im upgrading from a 12' pioneer sub, that I can rate below par. Its slow, boomy, not clear nor clean.
My amp is an old sony that can barely make my speakers move.

My mains are B&W 603 S3
The center is B&W HTM61
Im using two of my dead creative 750s gigaworks' as my surrounds, will be upgrading those last.