Marantz volume issue...advice needed

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritz_sa

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice on the volume issues I'm having with my old Marantz SR5006. When I got this receiver (together with a Jamo 5.0 speaker set) 8 years ago, I had an issue with a very low volume level...had to turn it up to around 75-80 to get decent volume for movies and music. The max volume is 98. After fiddling with the settings for a month to two, the volume issue was finally resolved. With a volume of 35-40, music or movies sounded exceptional.

I bought an SVS SB-2000 this week to finally get some real bass (below the 40hz that those Jamos gave me). Did the recommended setup...
On the Sub:
* Phase = 0
* Gain = Around 2 'o clock
* Sub cable in LFE port

On the receiver:
* Changed the fronts to small
* Bass setting = LFE + Main
* Set crossover frequency to 80hz
* Increased the levels to +12db for all channels

After doing the above, I'm having the same audio issue I had at the very beginning...where the volume needs to be over 65 to get any decent sound. I cannot for the life of me remember what settings resolved the volume issue the first time around.  :walled: Also, while it does get loud and the sub impresses with test tones etc, when playing music or movies, the sound isn't as balanced as before. I'm no audiophile but can tell when it's not as good as the last 8 years.

Don't laugh at this twist...my front right channel stopped working about a year back. Too lazy to disconnect and take it for repairs, I moved to a 2.0 setup and connected my right rear channel to the right front speaker (setting the right rear as "large" in the settings). When using the "Multi channel Stereo" sound mode, both movies and music have been sounding brilliant before I made the changes for the sub. I bring this up because I cannot run the Audyssey auto setup now - it needs all channels & speakers to be connected and working. Hence settings like Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ etc are greyed out. Playing with Direct/Pure Direct also makes no difference.  :nfi: :nfi: :nfi:

I'll take the receiver to HFX Systems soon (to sort out the right front channel)...anything I can try out before then? :nfi: :help:

Latest posts