Audirvana

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdejongh

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I play my music from an iMac, and I kept seeing references to Audirvana, by others also playing from Macs.

So, I downloaded the demo, and eventually purchased the software. The positive difference in playback was _dramatic_.

I started using the software in upscale mode, upscaling to 24-bit/96khz, the max the DAC inside the iMac is capable of. As I am typing here,
I am not sure if the software allows the DAC to upscale, or if it performs the upscaling with software.

I then started wondering if the software's playback mechanics was causing the improvement, or whether the upscaling was causing it.

I then experimented a bit, listening with upscaling, and listening without upscaling. The music I played was 16-bit, 44.1khz.

I could hear a notable difference. By notable I mean - no way am I listening without upscaling.

Can any Audirvana users confirm the above ?

Do the playback mechanics of Audirvana, upscaling besides, make a meaningful difference to the observed/perceived sound quality ?

I am thinking the following: That the purchase of 24-bit/96khz music, especially for classical music, instrumental music, is worth the investment.

The general opinion, from very light research, is that the gain to 24-bit/96khz is greater than the one from 24-bit/96khz to 24-bit/192khz. Opinions ?

Latest posts