Any Reason Not To Install A Gas Geyser

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1995

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I have a small Victron solar installation, 3 kVA Multiplus II inverter + 6 x 315W JA panels + 2 x US3000 Pylontech batteries, that pretty much handles our electricity needs i.e. all plug points with the stove and geyser bypassed. We are very conservative consumers of power with our bill being under R400 a month for actual electricity usage although with service, network and VAT charges we end up paying around R1300. All cooking is done using a small gas appliance.

1686841622078.png

The electric geyser is our largest consumer of electricity. The solar panels and battery supplement the heating of the geyser during the day and I monitor/manage that very carefully to ensure that the solar resources are used optimally.

I would like to install a gas geyser primarily to reduce our dependency on a single source of energy. I have received 2 quotations for R35K, one for a Dewhot fan forced unit and the other for a Paloma fan forced unit. I am leaning towards the Paloma unit for a few reasons, it is Japanese brand with a good reputation, better warranty and I've seen it working flawlessly at my daughter's apartment. The unit will be installed outdoors.

What are the alternatives and are there any compelling reasons not to install a gas geyser?