Constructive thoughts on an unconventional mini-solar install?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinosfronimos

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,

So like many, we're trying to buffer ourselves against loadshedding - however, we do not have 100k+ for a whole PV+inverter+battery setup.

We use very little electricity as a household of two: about R700pm prepaid. Only major appliances are geyser, A++ fridge, 1000W pressure cooker. Water can be boiled on gas stove when necessary, ditto toast & warming food (so kettle, toaster, and microwave are not a necessity).

Currently, we have a Flexopower 555Wh battery pack backup (LITHIUM555 PORTABLE POWER STATION BY FLEXOPOWER).
This suffices for up to 12h for work & laptops (most important use), and even 5h for HiFi and TV which is a very optional usage. Router & fiber box are on mini ups. And lighting we have some battery bulbs.

However, if we can start to expect more than the current 12h of LS a day, charging this battery backup may become problematic. Hence we are thinking of installing one solar panel on the roof, with a lead down to the house to charge the battery pack.

The suppliers of the FlexoPower are somewhat geared toward camping, and hence they supply portable flexible solar panels which are matched to their battery packs. Like this: NAMIB-150 TEFLON (ETFE) FOLDABLE SOLAR PANEL BY FLEXOPOWER. The battery pack charges at a max 100W, and hence the supplier matches this battery pack with the (a little over-spec'ed) above 150W solar panel.
However, between the premium price, and that I'd have to move this portable panel a few times around the garden, with a long lead to the battery pack in the house - this option is very much not ideal.

Hence my thought to install a single solar panel on the N-facing roof, with a lead down to the house. The advantages are that I need not tie the PV install into my house's (old & questionable) wiring, the battery pack remains portable, and overall a relatively low cost outlay, which matches our low electricity usage (and doesn't make for a disproportionate ROI).

Now, for a few questions:
1. What are the specs/limitations that I need to match between a roof-solar panel, and charging this battery pack?

2. If I get a generic roof-installbale solar panel (like this https://www.takealot.com/solar-panel-100w/PLID73179155, or whatever more knowledgable members recommend) - can someone modify the lead from the PV panel, to an Anderson connector? See attached photos (this adaptor came with our battery pack). So that I can connect the PV panel, with this adaptor, to the battery pack.

3. If we saved up a bit, and bought one of their bigger battery packs (this one: ECOFLOW DELTA 1300 - PORTABLE POWER STATION) to run primarily our fridge (probably most important), and maybe pressure cooker or TV (again, our electricity usage is low & we can also 'do without'). What kind of panel could/ should I get to future-proof for this scenario? So as to practicably charge this bigger battery pack, in say a day's available sun, as well as the smaller one we currently have?

In short, looking for a mini- solar solution to charge portable battery packs. As battery packs are dependent on undependable eskom power being available. And neither a generator, nor a full PV install is for us.

Attachments

• IMG_20230424_095056.jpg
    IMG_20230424_095056.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230424_095113.jpg
    IMG_20230424_095113.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230424_095133.jpg
    IMG_20230424_095133.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: