A listener's dilemma

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funcrusha76

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
It's been interesting following some of the posts in the qualities of a good system thread. It's given me food for thought about the systems that I have put together, and question whether they really do what they're meant to.

I was bred on a diet of late 70s disco and 80s pop and grew into golden age rap music, which also turned me on to all sorts of sample material: 60s soul, 70s funk, groove-based jazz, Afrobeat and so on and so forth. I mention this because recently I've discovered I listen to very little of the kind of music that means a lot to me. I've been caught up on chasing audiophile sounds. Music that is beautifully constructed and recorded, but doesn't necessarily hit me in the gut.

Where this poses a problem for me is that the stuff that isn't that well recorded - or is, let's say a little compressed/dense sounding - just doesn't resolve well on my system. Rather, my gear sounds flattered by audiophile recordings. By some twisted fate as I've spent more money on gear, I've found myself enjoying less of the music that inspired me to invest in better equipment!

Of course, the impulse is to get even better gear! I'm sure my experience cannot be unique to me. I'm keen to hear how others have dealt with this? Where does one find this audio nirvana? :)

Latest posts