A fun Pro-Ject...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Willemse

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I must admit, the tinkering and tweaking of record players is one of the reasons I find myself enjoying records so much. Compliment and compromise,  finding the unique partnerships between bits and bobs, an ever changing experience.

I?ve had my reasonable share of bits, some good, some not. A current TT build taking place is aimed to be my best attempt yet. In the meantime, I?ve resorted to messing about with a Pro-Ject Carbon with acrylic platter purchased on this forum to see me through.

I picked it up and a good price and was quite happy to be spinning again. Being the type of person I am, that lasted all of a couple hours before the tinkering began.

The first thing I didn?t like were the standard feet. I wanted to have the option of coupled spikes or insulated rubber feet, so milled out the underside screw holes of the plinth and epoxy set M8 threaded inserts. Very neat and factory looking.

Some meaty spikes originally  manufactured by Mike were the order of the day. I had two options of brass or stainless... the stainless being the preferred look. The unit looked far more premium already, and dare I say that I noticed a proper improve my in the sound!!! More likely because of the sturdy Sound-Structures stand it was place upon... but there was absolutely no doubt!

120dd750f864fdb7d1e70ce7ffe3eaa6.plist

Next up, the lid. I?ve always been irritated by finger marks on TT lids. Not the first time I?ve done this, but one again added a stainless handle for my fingers to grip instead of clumsily handling the edges.

6742aab84caf6363356bbf0ec546ddae.plist

The TT came with the usual Ortofon Red. Was as expected, quite sufficient and suitable.

I experimented with a first change to a Sumiko Moonstone MM cartridge. A nice improvement... and I was starting to really like this little guy now!

The chance to experiment with unusual pieces always intrigues me. I had the chance to purchase some less common cartridges in literally new condition. A couple Goldring MM G1040?s, another Goldring MC Electro II LZ, and something even more unusual in a Micro Accoustics System II 630.

I checked each item thoroughly with a basic microscope and magnifying glass. Nothing indicated that any of the items had ever been used.

Some pics of the stash...

5969bedc7fca7bd378a12563aa129d1d.jpg

901240c743fc6bc64eed02a822e97ff0.jpg

c53bef343e94a1ac952324a5fa929f58.jpg

fe48c4782bb8b42fbb0fc46e203b74a0.jpg

An interesting piece this, the MA630. After doing as much reading as I could  on it, decided it would be the best match for the ProJect. Reason being it?s an ultra light (supposedly lightest cartridge ever made), and matching it to the light carbon-fibre tone arm was the thought process. The cartridge has tiny slide-in weights to get it to balance the tone arm. At first fitting with no weights, I couldn?t even get the needle to drop with the the arm counterweight as far in as it could go. Added ALL the weights back, and only just got a maximum weight on the stylus of around 1.2 grams. This is extremely light, but the cartridge has a range of 0.7 - 1.4 grams. Did my absolute level best to do perfect alignment, dropped it on the record...

734b4ec6df531856d8320889eb827730.jpg

e082f1125421ff2fad5e687db2ce0eef.jpg

The reason I actually started this thread, but got sidetracked. This is one phenomenal little cartridge!! In fact... my favourite to date!

Anyone had any experience with one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts