High Efficiency Waveguide build - The quest to rock!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMilitia

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Morning gentlemen

One is always envious of the broad range of drivers our fellow audio enthusiasts in the States and EU have access to. Sure we could make use of the same such drivers albeit at quite a premium

The econowave and SEOS HE builds have always fascinated me as i know this is the type of sound i am wanting to get out of a speaker. I have tried numerous systems since my audio journey started about 17 years ago and have always been left wanting...whether it be B&W's, Monitor Audio (favourite of the bunch), Wharfedale, AE's etc etc

My music tastes vary as they do with most but distorted guitars and manic drumming are what gets my foot tapping and head banging. Blues, Classical Rock, 70's British Metal, Death Metal and well almost anything featuring guitars, i'm sure you get the picture :p Fortunately through all the trial and error of auditioning different systems and chopping and changing my own setups i can conclude that only large drivers and waveguides can accomplish the sound i crave so much. Impact and visceral slam with the ability to go loud when need be is the order of the day.

Many times in the past have i pestered fellow forumites who are far more knowledgable than myself (Timber, JimGore, Xumbug) when it come's to loudspeaker design and driver selection but i have never followed through with my plans for building my first HE speaker. I am currently unemployed and it seems like the perfect time now to do a build whilst i wait in anticipation for the right job opportunity to come about

I came across the following website yesterday evening and they have a few drivers one does not really come across often locally.
https://www.stationvibration.co.za/collections/loose-speakers-lf-transducers-p-audio-hybrid-vidal-celto-acoustics-challenger-imix-behringer-turbosound?page=2

I am wanting to do a 2 or 3 way build and these drivers seem suitable thus far:
Emincence Delta 12A
B&C DE250

As for the waveguide i am not sure of as yet and will have to hunt a little unless there are recommendations for something locally available. Same goes for the midrange driver if i do end up going 3 way

Does anyone have experience with the drivers listed above or is there anything else available locally that would be suitable. I have seen P Audio drivers suggested to others on the forum previously and i know Hybrid has drivers suitable for OB builds, perhaps they have something that would work here also

My main goal is a speaker that has midbass slam. Detail and transparency can take a back seat in this situation
If i can accomplish this for >10k i would be ecstatic. If the budget needs to be stretched i am going to have to do that however. The budget does not factor in crossover components or building materials as i have those on hand already and will be running the system active making use of a MiniDSP for testing wherafter a passive crossover can be designed

Please help me on this journey...the time is right and i am ready to get this done whilst i learn more  :O0: :groovy: