How not to sell your gear - A true story of arrogance.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judy@Rtec

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a strange call a few month back. I mostly wrote it down then, but I am only posting it now as to ensure anonymity. Please don?t try and guess who it was.  ;)

It was one of the weirdest calls I have ever taken and the highlight of my week at the time  - So I had to share.

Me: Remedytec Good day!
X: Can I speak to somebody regarding the high end audio you sell? (Note: no greeting)
Me: (knowing ?high end? is very relative when it comes to enquiries) You can speak to me sir, how can I assist ?
X: So tell me, what do you sell?
Me: Well, we sell a number of brands, including Yamaha, Denon, Rotel, Monitor Audio, Polk, Klipsch and many more,  each encompassing a comprehensive list of items. Is there any specific items you require? The specific item list is quite long. (Yes, this is a textbook answer)
X: Do you sell ?Xbrand??
Me: No sir we don?t.
X: Why not?
Me: Because we have no need. Frankly, brand X is not so much focused on home theatre where the majority of our business lies. And most of our client usually listen before they buy... not look/buy before they listen. (A bit cheeky, I know, but given the brand, it might even be considered a compliment)

X: So you telling me you don?t sell high end items then?

Me: No, I certainly did not say that. And the omission of one somewhat esoteric  brand would certainly not conclude such.

**Then the proverbial lights came on**

Me: Sorry, and with all due respect - are trying to buy Xbrand or sell Xbrand ?

X: Sell... my name is X and I represent the new distributors for Xbrand. We were wanting to enquire if you were interested in stocking Xbrand? .... (then continues for about another minute on what was obviously penned down on a piece of paper.)

I lost it... I honestly laughed. I felt bad afterwards. But I was flabbergasted by the arrogance, ignorance, or inexperience... or maybe all combined.

Me: Thank you for the offer, but no thank you. Not  interested at all.

X: Oh...  ok. (Puts down phone)

Me: *speechless*

In short ...  to ANY DEALER, SALES PERSON... and frankly any person looking for favour... be nice.

Arrogance might work on some, but not on those in the know or where it matters. Not when you are looking for favour or even a healthy, mutually beneficial long term relationship. Certainly not on first contact. Certainly not on anybody seasoned or with half a back bone.

In the long term, you only have that privilege if the one you are facing is  dependent on you or desperate.

And if faced with somebody just as arrogant? And you do manage to get a foot in the door? Know that your ?long term? is likely their ?short term? as they will allow it only for as long as they themselves have something to gain. You are dispensable.

?Arrogance? and ?long term?  can not be used in the same sentence ?.

Food for thought.