Author Topic: HP laptop partition issues  (Read 876 times)

Offline Andrew

HP laptop partition issues
« on: April 17, 2018, 06:33:08 PM »
I have an HP laptop that must be about 4 or so years old now, does everything I need it to well so have no intention of replacing it for a while. But it would seem that when it was orignally setup, the HP people didn't take Windows 10 and it's insane updates into consideration. The drive is divided into 3 sections: This PC, HP Tools, and HP Recovery.

HP Recovery is now full thanks (I presume) to all the updates, and so apart from being unable to update the OS, I now get a farking reminder literally every few minutes that the disk is full and I need to free up space. Which I can't, because there's nothing more I can delete on that partition. I've tried looking at the section on the OS where it asks you where new stuff gets downloaded and stored, and everything is set to My PC, which has plenty of available space, but there's no option to save updates into that section, so that's a pointless exercise.

Is there any way, short of (I assume) doing a complete reformat of the HDD that I can remove the partitions so that everything is just on one drive? Or even if I can maybe get rid of HP Tools and use that for updates. Does Windows 10 have a reformat option that will allow me to do this?
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: HP laptop partition issues
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:40:04 PM »
If you fiddle with a partition that is full of data, that data will disappear

It is a pain to do, but you will be better off repartioning the drive to 2 partitions, say 100mb reserved and the rest for the OS.  You certainly do not need HP Tools

Partition Magic does do partition size altering, but bear in mind the first sentence
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:50:36 PM »
Download and run CCleaner - it will find all old outdated update downloads and give you the option to clean it up.
Have been using it for many years. The free version works fine.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner?source=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrIjx_eDB2gIV8xbTCh0tDgWsEAAYASAAEgJm7_D_BwE

Offline Andrew

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »

It is a pain to do, but you will be better off repartioning the drive to 2 partitions, say 100mb reserved and the rest for the OS.  You certainly do not need HP Tools

Partition Magic does do partition size altering, but bear in mind the first sentence

Thanks Chris, will take a look in the morning and take it verrrry slowly if I go that route.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »
Download and run CCleaner - it will find all old outdated update downloads and give you the option to clean it up.
Have been using it for many years. The free version works fine.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner?source=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrIjx_eDB2gIV8xbTCh0tDgWsEAAYASAAEgJm7_D_BwE

Thanks - yes, have used CCleaner in the past, but I doubt in this case it will do anything other than delay a repeat problem. The partition is simply too small to handle the amount of info, I think - but will take a look and see how much it can clear for me, thanks!

Offline Juggy

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »
Go to services and stop Windows Update service then got to the following location and delete everything in the SoftwareDistribution folder, this is your Windows update cache

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Offline Andrew

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 09:35:42 AM »
Go to services and stop Windows Update service then got to the following location and delete everything in the SoftwareDistribution folder, this is your Windows update cache

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
And it's safe to do that? So not the entire folder, just the contents? It's only got about 500MB of contents, so not sure it's going to free up enough space.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »

Chris, will pm you if yo don't see this, but you seem to know this prog, so wanted to ask your advice.

I took a look at the delete partition and the rezise partition as first options. My PC knowledge is scant, so on Delete I was wondering if once the partition where HP Tools is currently sitting is deleted, will the laptop automatically see that as free space or would I then still have to use the Resize option to expand This PC and Recovery to allow them to use it?

The other option I was looking at was the Merge option - if I Merge HP Tools and Recovery, would that not solve the issue right away?

Offline Juggy

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »
And it's safe to do that? So not the entire folder, just the contents? It's only got about 500MB of contents, so not sure it's going to free up enough space.
Hmmm. Not as much as I expected. Do you have a windows.old folder in C:/ ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Juggy

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 09:49:51 AM »
Chris, will pm you if yo don't see this, but you seem to know this prog, so wanted to ask your advice.

I took a look at the delete partition and the rezise partition as first options. My PC knowledge is scant, so on Delete I was wondering if once the partition where HP Tools is currently sitting is deleted, will the laptop automatically see that as free space or would I then still have to use the Resize option to expand This PC and Recovery to allow them to use it?

The other option I was looking at was the Merge option - if I Merge HP Tools and Recovery, would that not solve the issue right away?

The ability to extend or grow a partition in to open space depends on where the deleted partition are on the disk in relation to the primary partition.

If you're stuck and don't want to go in to deleting partitions blindly you can run a tool called "Team Viewer QS" which will allow somone more knowledgeable to connect to your computer and sort it out for you.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »
Hmmm. Not as much as I expected. Do you have a windows.old folder in C:/ ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes, saw that and wondered if it could be deleted.

If it's any help (Chris advised me to pick your brains), on the laptop when I open the Storage option on Settings, it shows:

This PC (size and what's used)
HP Tools (size and what is used)
Recovery (size and that it's completely full)

I *think* I may be able to bumble my way through the Delete and Resize options, but thought for my limited PC knowledge that it might be safest to try the Merge option for HP Tools and Recovery to make it one big drive, where there should then be more than enough space for the Win 10 updates?

Offline Juggy

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 10:18:49 AM »
Yes, saw that and wondered if it could be deleted.

If it's any help (Chris advised me to pick your brains), on the laptop when I open the Storage option on Settings, it shows:

This PC (size and what's used)
HP Tools (size and what is used)
Recovery (size and that it's completely full)

I *think* I may be able to bumble my way through the Delete and Resize options, but thought for my limited PC knowledge that it might be safest to try the Merge option for HP Tools and Recovery to make it one big drive, where there should then be more than enough space for the Win 10 updates?

Ok, Windows.old is your old Windows installation left behind from an update. It allows you to roll back if you want to.

You can right click on the C:\ partition and go to Properties->General Tab and click Disk Cleanup and wait for the assessment to finish. Once it's done click the "Cleanup System Files" button and wait for the next assessment to complete. Once it completes look for the Windows Updates checkbox, chances are it's over 15GB in size.

You can select all the checkboxes and click OK. This will remove all unnecessary system files including old versions of Windows.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 10:25:22 AM »
Ok, Windows.old is your old Windows installation left behind from an update. It allows you to roll back if you want to.

You can right click on the C:\ partition and go to Properties->General Tab and click Disk Cleanup and wait for the assessment to finish. Once it's done click the "Cleanup System Files" button and wait for the next assessment to complete. Once it completes look for the Windows Updates checkbox, chances are it's over 15GB in size.

You can select all the checkboxes and click OK. This will remove all unnecessary system files including old versions of Windows.

Okay, thanks will try that now - as an aside I reran Properties on the software one and it now shows over 11 GB of data there. Is that safe to delete? Do I delete the entire folder or leave the folder as is and just delete the contents of it?

Offline Juggy

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 10:28:08 AM »
Okay, thanks will try that now - as an aside I reran Properties on the software one and it now shows over 11 GB of data there. Is that safe to delete? Do I delete the entire folder or leave the folder as is and just delete the contents of it?

Just delete the contents of SoftwareDistribution but you will have to stop your Windows Update service first

Offline Andrew

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 11:03:29 AM »
Just delete the contents of SoftwareDistribution but you will have to stop your Windows Update service first

Will do, much appreciated.