Linux with all it's pain and glory

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200GXman

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all
If this was discussed before apologies.

So I got my hands on a decent 10 year old laptop. Struggled to get Windows loaded as it doesn't pick up the key I decided to go the Linux route to try something new. My first question to the Linux experts is if I am OK loading Ubuntu Linux. There are so many flavors that I found out through research Ubuntu it seems is the most user friendly and best with drivers.
Now my question. I saw that with the help of Wine one can, it seems, install Windows applications. I managed with a bit of struggling to install Wine but didn't get time to do Windows apps testing.
My plans for this laptop is the following:
I want to play MAME games.
I still have my original Starcraft and Starcraft Broodwar cds that I would like to play again.
Will this work? I am especially concerned if installing by running a setup.exe installer in Linux because obviously it doesn't have the Windows registry to modify with installing. Or am I missing something.
Then I also got a original Office 2013 cd. Can I install this using Wine?

I am in the IT field and have years ago played on Unix. Actually we did our programming on a Unix mainframe when I was a student. Now I am more doing Windows stuff but wanted to try something different with this project.

Latest posts