Author Topic: Newbie question in re connection of Stereo and AV Amp's  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Corne JvR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Newbie question in re connection of Stereo and AV Amp's
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »
I need some help please.

I want to run my two Fronts on my stereo amp and run just my centre and 2 surrounds on my Onkyo.

The CD player and Turntable will be connected directly to the Stereo amp as these are just for stereo listens and then the Blu-ray will be connected to the Onkyo.

How do I connect these two amps to have my stereo sources running on the stereo amp and for Movies just adding the Onkyo for my 5.1

My Stereo amp Has a Power amp in (L & R)and a Pre amp out (L & R)
The Onkyo has a bunch of Pre out's (Front -L&R, Surround - L&R, Centre and Sub)

Would it work if I connect the Onkyo's Front Pre outs to the Stereo amp, but surelyI cant connect it via the Power amp in's so could I perhaps connect it via one of the open input's like Tape 1?

Thanks - Dont wont to blow something up by "experimentng"  :moron:

Offline d0dja

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Newbie question in re connection of Stereo and AV Amp's
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
The AVR pre-amp out's to stereo amp power-amp in. That's that they're there for.

Because you're connecting to the stereo amp's power amp in, you no longer have control of volume level via the amp's volume control, so you will need to fiddle with the AVR's setup to get relative volumes of front L+R and surround/centre balanced.

Offline Corne JvR

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 02:13:48 PM »
Thanks

That makes sense - Will have to adjust the volume on power amp and avr seperately .

One thing that bugs me though is that the stereo amp doesnt have a switch on the front to select the Power amp in (no Auxiliry ,etc) , will the amp automaticaly detect the signal and play this even though its switched to CD for instance on the input selector - Sorry i have a manual, but its extremely simplistic and doesnt realy go into detail. (the stereo amp is an Audiolab)

Offline d0dja

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 08:19:33 PM »
which specific amp? 8000 series have selector on the front.

you wont need to control volume separately -- you just need to get relativ evolume level set. volume will be controlled by avr. Its acting as the pre to the audiolab's power stage.

Offline Corne JvR

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 10:06:53 AM »
Audiolab 8000A

I tried it via the Tuner input last night - and it worked  :thumbs:

My available input selections on the front panel is CD, Video, Phono, Tuner, Tape 1 & Tape 2.  (all these input options have corresponding inputs in the back so it cant be one of these)

I see what you meant in re. Volume. Just initial setting of volume on the stereo and thereafter it goes Up & Down with the AVR.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:58:26 AM »
you cannot use those pre-outs and power amp in unless you do an internal modification to seperate them ie they do not function as a type of HT bypass since there is no way to select between them

you have a choice ie keep the unit as an integrated amplifier and use it how you are using it now ie have a set level for the audiolab and use one of the inputs and connect that to the pre-out of the AVR and use the volume control on the AVR

the other option is to do the modifications described here :

http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/separating-the-pre-and-power-sections-on-an-audiolab-8000a.html

and make it into a permanent pre-amp or power amp but then you wont be able to use it for your other inputs ie the turntable and CD player will stop working if you connect the power amp section to the AVR

given this state of affairs i would just use it as you are doing it now  :thumbs:

Offline Corne JvR

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 11:31:47 AM »
Thanks alot

I am going to run it as is then.  (dont want it to run as a pewer or pre only)

I owe you guys a beer   :dop:

Offline d0dja

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »
Ahhh... the 8000 doesn't have the panel selector.   :cr@p: :cr@p: :cr@p:

Annoying that they'd provide the back panel connectors for separating the pre and power amp sections, and then don't offer a simple switch to separate them. WTF? I'm guessing if they went to all the trouble of manufacturing casing with the RCA jacks and internal wiring to allow pre/power separate use, they simply forgot to put a selector switch. Otherwise really WTF.  :thinking:

The PITA that you have now is that you're going to need to constantly reset the volume for stereo source vs AVR use.

If you're at all handy, it's fairly trivial to add a switch. The service manual (available here http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/audiolab/8000a.shtml) explains how to make the permanent mod, but depending on your particular model, you could wire a double pole/double throw switch instead of the two removable links/resistors and Bob's your uncle. 

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 02:09:48 PM »
Because external links and switches far away duff the sound. In the era of the original 8000 many better UK stores had on site techies.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za