Yamaha 3040 vs Yamaha 3010

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastermamo

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
As most of u know I had purchased a Yamaha 3040 not too long ago.
I have now sold this amp and bought a Yamaha 3010 and here are my impressions:

Yamaha 3040
PROS:
Precise Steering
Huge Soundstage
Great features like Airplay
WiFi Built in
ATMOS
4K Upscaling

CONS:
A little too "surgical" in its sonic delivery
Doesn't really manage to captivate on the midrange
Lacks bottom end oomph
Can sound harsh on the upper frequencies when pushed
The remote is extremely uncomfortable to use

Yamaha 3010:
PROS:
Incredible power handling
Huge Soundstage
Built like a tank
Can really belt out those lower frequencies
Nice backlit remote
Fantastic control

CONS:
No WiFi
No 4K upscaling
Thats it

I am seriously surprised at how much the 3010 can offer in terms of serious power. Both amps are rated at the same power output (155x9ch) but my 683's nevwe really got a workout with the 3040. The moment I switched to the 3010 my 683's seemed to come alive. I heard bass frequencies I hadn't hear before. Even the sub seemed more cohesive in the entire sound mix.
The 3040 is a far more refined amp no doubt and has some really nice added touches e.g. allowing u to alter the sub levels without having to dive into various menus and of course the dialogue level control which is great. But I find it all to sterile and I honestly believe its those Sabre DAC's. Yes they are precise and great for steering effects but the Burr Browns on the 3010 are so much "richer and warmer" feeling to me. So reminiscent of my Yamaha 1010. I simply adore the 3010. Its a beast. It does what its supposed to. It DELIVERS.
Naturally these opinions are based on HT use but even 2 channel music seems far more rewarding to listen to on the 3010.
Maybe its a more forgiving amp in terms of what content its fed and this is where the sterile and "over precise" nature of the 3040 lets it down. I feel that Yamaha in its search for technical excellence has lost something along the way. I totally agree with the WhatHiFi reviews on both and here is an excerpt:

Yamaha 3040: FOR
Incredibly wide, spacious and tall soundfield
Powerful and accurate surround steering
Smooth edges are comfortable to listen to
Excellent build and features
Easy to use
Supports Atmos

Against
Could be punchier, tauter and more transparent
Voices could be more direct and robust
No built-in Bluetooth

"It?s a powerful beast, but is let down by not delivering the subtlest, punchiest and most captivating performance that money can buy."

Yamaha 3010: FOR
Impressive scale
fluid, unaggressive delivery
immersive soundfield
fine spec
flexible with partnering equipment

Against
No Spotify or THX options, unlike direct rivals from Onkyo: that?s about it

"Even when cold, it?s clear that this Yamaha is a thrilling listen. It?s exciting, uncannily accurate and blessed with a soundfield so tall, broad and richly textured that the confines of your listening room seem to melt away around you."

Just my humble opinion based on my trusty ears ...

Latest posts