Why measurements will never tell the whole story........

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allan320

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
At the age of 73 I found myself a newbie here earlier this year as I began to build a listening room at home. I have subsequently collected a variety of speaker drivers and projects through the many august gentlemen here, some of whom I had the pleasure of meeting at CTHFE in October.

A UK friend delivered my UMIK1 microphone this week and I have REW on my new Macbook Pro, so begins the journey.....and at the risk of my restating the obvious, please read on.
The mike has a dedicated correction file to flatten its output for use in REW, so why do we expect our ears to automatically have a flat response to a flat-measuring speaker? Perhaps we should visit an audiologist and have our own correction file recorded.

Most folk of any age will have dips in hearing response so, for example, a dip at say 8khz would need a speaker with a lift at 8khz to sound "right". You get my drift?
There is also the issue of the highly personal and subjective way we process the sounds we call music. Add to that preferences for a particular character of sound for a particular genre of music and we can clearly see why our preoccupation with measurements as the final arbiters of quality is only a small part of the story. It should really only be a starting point.