Which Watch....?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So here I stand, victim of a petty crime.

About two weeks ago, someone broke into our house, alarm went off, perpetrators must've spent all of about 90 or 120 seconds in the house.  In all honesty, my sister living with her husband right on the river in Brisbane was victim of a far worse crime (robbed of a custom Ducati Monster and an Aprilia RSV4), so considering what can happen, we're very lucky.

In that short period, they managed to turn shelves and drawers out, so that the house looked ransacked.  Very little was taken, that which was is of little real material value.  I've claimed from insurance who've been pretty good, and even provided two security guards for me until the house could be secured the next day.

The reason for all of this vapid discussion, is that I was dealt a blow that left me very bitter.  I'm a sentimental guy, and I've had my late fathers wedding ring  (who died prematurely 20 years ago this month) in my care.  Of course, the sons of bitches who broke in took the damn near valueless piece of gold that actually meant something to me.

I cannot ever replace that, I get it.  But I thought I'd take R10k of the insurance money I've received and buy a watch, I know that doesn't get you terribly far in the watch world but I figured that this forum of esteemed connoisseurs of nice things would be able to guide me to A) A place to a buy a watch in Cape Town (or online) than wont rip me off, and B) what brand is worth buying at this price range.

The only watch brand I'm very familiar with is Omega, as that what various family members buy.  I on the other hand don't have that kind of money, or I should spend less on wine and audio!  :tongue:

Any who, if any of you got through this vaguely cathartic ramble, I would appreciate you input.

PS: On a side note, the other thing that seriously pissed me off was the loss of all the war/campaign medals from both sides of the family (first and second WW). Seriously, they melt them down for the silver apparently...  :headbanger: