Fixing a 5Kw generator advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200GXman

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all
I have a work colleague who has a 5Kw petrol generator. Used it on the farm when doing work in the fields. I haven't seen it yet but he is bringing it tomorrow to my house. We have had in the last 3 months 2 transformer explosions causing blackouts of between 40 and 50 hours. I put in a claim of food lost first time but second time we were lucky and weather was not that hot. I don't want to try my luck a 3rd time and insurance already send out notices that claims will not be processed for blackout losses.
I unfortunately don't have money now to buy a 5Kw generator and I see even 2.5Kw are not cheap or be able to handle the load. 2 chest freezers and 1 fridge.

His generator he wants to get rid of and he said if I can get it working, I can have it. He bought a new one. Apparently it runs fine but last time he used it using a drill, it made a loudish bang or pop and then the drill only turned at a low speed.
I am thinking that one of the phases got damaged or hopefully something small like a small wire that just disconnected and shorted.
Anyone on here that might give me a heads up how these units generate power and what to look for? I am thinking first thing is checking for loose or burned wires and then checking continuity on the phases or coils of the generating unit.

Latest posts