Which TV to buy

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotham

Reaction score
I am planning on buying a 46" to 50" TV, I am not sure which would be a good buy between an LCD, LED and plasma. I generally watch movies, DSTV stuff like sport and shows, no gaming at all. Wont use it as a computer screen / monitor other than for watching a couple of videos stored in my comp. I prefer something with excellent picture quality. Have read some forums where they talk about the 'black' the 'white' being better on one tv vs another.
I may want to introduce myself to 3D as well, i hear passive is better than active.

Anyway most forums lean towards plasma tvs but THEY say there is the issue of burn in and durability and they says plasma has good quality under cinematic conditions, i.e. when its dark meaning its a minus if I am to watch during the day or when my lights are on.

Went to a couple of shops couldnt even try to make a decision based on what I saw, either the sales people are disappointingly worse than me in not knowing their product, or 80 percent of the tvs are displaying a terrible dstv picture that has frozen.

Saw a Panasonic (online i.e.) THP-50UT50Q plasma FHD R11,000 (not sure of the support if something goes wrong)
a Samsung PS51E550 51" Plasma FHD R10,000
LG 47LM6410 47" LED FHD R10,400

any other suggestions are welcome, would have loved to write 3 pages.