Buying a TV is complicated.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oradba69

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the last TV we bought was a Panasonci Vierra HD Plasma TV and I still love this things picture quality.
With our planned move next year we decided to can the projector setup we currently have since the new place will be much lighter inside. Black friday came around and i started looking at options. After browsing a few shops we decided to go for a 65" TV even though a 75" would have been nice but a bit out of our price range (R30k).
We decided to go for a smaller better quality rather than the bigger lower quality in our price range.
After quite a bit of googling and reading posts here (thanks Kenmasters learned a lot from you) we narrowed it down to 3 makes. LG, Samsung and Hisense.
We could get the Hisense OLED well within our price range until I saw the post by Kenmasters that the A8 is not the same in SA as the ones reviewed on the internets(Apparently there are different QN90B tvs as well). The fact that some of the reviews looked horrible also raised questions regarding the claim of the salesman at Sounds Great that the Hisense is basically the same TV as the LG.
I have no idea how anybody can decide on a TV looking at them in any showroom.
This brought it down for me to a choice between LG Oled(C1/C2) and the Samsung QN90B in 65" format.

In the end we decided on the Samsung for 2 reasons:
1. Price wise I could get the Samsung for R30k (within our decided budget) but best price on the LG was much closer to R40k.
2. I also reckon(hope) the Samsung will work better in the area where we plan to use it because it will be so light in there.

Hope we made the right choice even though I still dont know the differences between the bunch of acronyms.

Latest posts