Where did your love for AV start...Equipment you grew up with

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anton

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi all ...
Just a story about when i was young , maybe where the AV bug bit me ---And to improve my Post count  :)

When i was very young my Father had one of the best sounding systems in our neighborhood,when my school came out i quickly went home and turned up the radio just for every school child passing our house to say WOW listen to that sound ...
He had a Nad 3140 Amplifier with a Nad tapedeck and a LA tuner (Mono) Paired with Ar 38 speakers wich he still have today
One day my uncle in Polokwane phoned my father and said he must come and look at the new gadget he got in he's shop , it was a cd player wich he gave to my father at a supposedly very good price
He also bought a few cd's with the cd player , i can still remember a few like Hits on Cd vol2 , Cliff Richard , Bruce Hornsby and the Range and some more . Wow the sound was so much clearer than the tapedeck and the mono tuner . My uncle still have that shop , it was TV rama and now it is owned by my nephew ,Audio Corporation

One day i decided that i also want some sound in my room , so the only speaker i could find was those that came in old telephones , i neatly laid the wires and fixed that telephone speaker on my bed somewhere ....
i did not know it was a few hundred Ohms , when i connected it to that Nad amp u all know what happened , and i tried it left and right channel so i blew both channels
My father almost killed me !!
My father then decided to take the amp for repairs , i think it was Hifi Installations in Pretorius street . a Few days later they phoned my father and said the amp disappeared in the store (Yeah right they stole it)
and they offered him a Proton Am 455 Amplifier wich he still have
A few years on when i started working i found another Nad 3140 wich i then gave to him , but yea i also bought him a Hdmi Amp that he uses everyday
The proton Amp is driving a passive subwoofer

Would like to hear some of your Stories
Thanks for reading

Latest posts