Wharfedale PowerCube 12 sub review

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil81

Reaction score
I very clearly remember one of my best friends always having some sort of audiophile magazine with him when we were still in school. This was before the days of search engines and stable internet, so this was as close as we could get at the time. I remember reading the mags whenever I had time to kill and I remember wishing that I could sample the audio experiences that the reviewers were talking about.

At the time we started working for a salary, I had an old Pioneer Rondo 3000 system that I was using (with the original speakers that it came out with). My friend had bought a set of Celestion Ditton 2?s with a Wharfedale PowerCube 10 sub. We decided to hook them up to the Pioneer just to hear what they would sound like.

I can vividly remember the amazing sound that was enveloping my listening room, thinking to myself, is this what they were on about in all those magazines? We sat and listened in amazement, even the bad songs were sounding amazing, we found new mids, new highs, and of course, rich deep new lows.

I kinda fell in love with the signature sound that the little Wharfedale had, it was deep, it was rich and it never sounded like the 10? 100w little subwoofer ever strained to keep up, even at moderate to high listening levels.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I decided to get my hands on a Pioneer Home Theatre system, but because the system was much bigger than the Celestion?s, I decided to go with the  Wharfedale PowerCube 12 sub to ensure that it is able to move enough air. I remember the salesman sitting next to me in the demo room. He first had the Pioneer sub that came with the system connected, we listened for a while, and although it was okay, I was not all that impressed. After a lot of fuss, the Pioneer sub was out, and the Wharfedale was put in. The salesman sat down, pressed play, and the smiles ensued. The bass was deep, rich, and had all the flovours that I was looking for, and then some! The bass was visceral, and you felt part of the action.

Fast forward another couple of years, and I have grown up a bit, and so too has my system. I am currently running the B&W 683?s floor standers, the B&W HTM61 centre channel, and I am using a set of 685?s for my surrounds/satellites. Although I have considered changing the sub, it would need to be to something truly extra ordinary, because this little Wharfedale PowerCube 12 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer has no problem keeping up with the big B&W?s.

Astetically it is a good looking sub, simple yet elegant. It has all the usual adjustments for crossover frequency selection, volume control, multiple inputs etc, so getting it set up to your system, shouldn?t be too difficult. The down firing sub has no issues bringing together a HT system. Watching Tony Stark work in the cave on his first ever Iron suit really shows how soft and controlled the bass presence can be when they are sneaking around, and it then it really hits you square in the chest when he starts his escape.

I can really recommend this sub to anyone looking for something that does way more than what you would expect.  It is powerful, has loads of control, and really gives you a lot of thump for your hard earned money. You will be hard pressed to find anything that even gets close to this sub for the same money.

My rating then? It has to be a 4.5 out of 5. The value and performance of this sub really is hard to beat, the only nitty gritty thing that the 0.5 makes up for, is the absence of a remote control. This only really comes in to effect when going from HT to stereo, but this is really nitpicking.