Velodyne EQ Max 12 vs SVS PB1000

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank007301

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all

After installing my home theater i felt there is something lacking. So i contacted Vaughan as usual for all AV goodies. I asked him what the price would be for another EQ Max 12. To my dismay he told me that they no longer brought those in (cant remember if they were discontinued or what). that would have been the best solution but now i could not do that anymore.

I then asked him what my options were. He then said i should consider SVS. I then thought to my self, what is this brand now? So i went on and listened further because he has not lead me down the wrong path yet. He said no man, go have a look at the SVS SB12-NSD its on special etc etc. Thought to myself why would i want to go backwards. 12" vs 10", paying less etc. I wanted to upgrade not go backwards.

The more i looked into the brand the more i heard and saw good things. What? They made ported subs of the same type for more or less the price. This got me going. More research. The price vs performance is ridiculous. I was left asking myself, How much of this could be real? A sub that is better than the Velodyne EQ Max 12 but the price is less.

I decided that i should just trust Vaughan and pull the trigger. Called Vaughan on Wednesday. He then told me very lucky as i got the last PB1000's in stock at the special price. (decided on the PB 1000 as it was for a dedicated home theater) Spoke to the wife and she said it was fine and pulled the trigger anyway, to secure the second one. Did not want to wait.

So Friday evening comes and my new SVS PB1000 arrived. Vaughan dropped it off, calibrated it for me and the testing began.

EQ Max 12 on the left and the PB1000 on the right.

All i can say is wow. I have had a few subs before and i have heard a lot of subs before but this was something special and that from a 10" driver and a massive box.

First test was to test something that i knew, so i put in Deadpool. It is not known for super bass but i knew the first fight scene very well. There was so much that i did not hear before. I felt the bass so much more than with the EQ Max. The detail was also just great.

Second to go in was Master and Commander(unfortunately only the Blu-Ray not the DVD). As most of you know this is one of the movies you test for the surround sound. The first battle was deep and powerful my windows started to rattle. They never used to do that with the EQ Max 12.

Third was the Sub killer War of the Worlds. I did not even test my EQ Max 12 past -20db (0.0db is reference) with this movie. I took it a little further with the PB1000 but not too much over as i did not want to break the sub. It was incredible everything started shaking. The plates in the kitchen started to rattle, i felt that i the end of the world was here. I dont even want to know what would happen with two of these PB1000.

Third was Jurassic World. There is not much more that i can say. The power is amazing and much more than what i thought.

All i can say is thank you Vaughan for the great advice. I cant wait until Wednesday for the next one to get here. I will post better and more pictures once i have the second one. Need to get more light in that room so that i can take better pictures.

To be continued.....