B&W 606 S2 Anniversary speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotorbug

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pair of B&W 606 S2 AE speakers from Digital Experience this week. Marked down to R10995-00 (Sealed box).

I am sure if you have considered these speakers, you would have watched Andrew Robinsons contentious review on You Tube claiming they have an aggressive and bright treble. (Sometimes you have to wonder if by being contentious, it gets the hits you want.)

I also purchased a Marantz PM6007 amplifier from Amazon UK for R10700 including shipping and duties.

Speaker stands are my own and work in progress. I still need to fill the columns with sand. They are a copy of the stands shown in the B&W 805 Matrix catalogue from 1995.

Both the amplifier and speakers need time to run in but here are some initial thoughts. I will fill the speaker stand columns this weekend which will help improve the bass.

I am using a Marantz SACD14 S1 SE as the source and connected my MacBook to the CD player with a USB cable. This allows me to make use of the excellent DAC converter in the SACD player.

Audioquest Big Sur RCA interconnects.
Transparent mains cable on Amp
Russ Andrews/Kimber power cable on CD player.
Furman Mains conditioner
Russ Andrews multi power block
Transparent Super speaker cable.

The speakers sound weighty and big. They are energetic and tuneful. The bass is on the warmer side without sounding wooly. I have the option of adding a subwoofer from the 6007 amplifier in the future.

Vocals like Diana Panton sounds awesome played from Spotify at max quality through the SACD player. Her voice is full and holographic.

Treble sounds sweet especially on piano and the saxophone sounds smooth without sounding fatiguing.

The speakers have a lot of subtlety for their price point. They have a very clean midrange and treble for the price point. This could show up poor recordings and bright amplification/source components.

The only time I am finding the speakers slightly bright is playing certain CD’s such as HDCD’s. A CD source with a fuller/fatter sound would help here as the SACD has a very open treble.

Attachments

• 16E62383-9595-41D9-AD67-777B09F74FDA.jpeg
    16E62383-9595-41D9-AD67-777B09F74FDA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 2A2F220B-4ED0-4536-9DA4-96C986FE4215.jpeg
    2A2F220B-4ED0-4536-9DA4-96C986FE4215.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: