Upgrading Lounge to Listening room ;D

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atjan

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
We recently bought a new house and now have a seperate lounge and tv room. Due to some cunning moves on my side, I convinced my wife that we need to do a bit of work there to make it nicer. I'm working into the budget some improvements that should improve my sound reproduction significantly.

As I know about room acoustics only the amount I understood from Ethan Winer's website, I'm posting this here for input from those wiser/cleverer than myself. :)

Here below should be a floorplan for the room. In   broad, it is small-3.5x3.5x2.6(h). Hence bass reproduction is not great.
What helps, I think for bass at least, it the windows on 2 sides. Am I right that alot of the lower freq will travel straight through the window to my neighbours? ;D
Higher freq I will take care of via the thickest curtains I can manage ( I generally listen at night).

Reflection points
My listening position is the red dot.

I'm buying 10 sheets of 25mm thick, foil covered rigid 80kg/m3 fireglass sheets from EISW in Jeppestown, Jhb. These will do duty as absorbtion panels. They're the blue lines.

As I can only get so much WAF, I cannot cover all other walls with panels of some sort. So my goal here will be to create a 'dead zone' where I'm sitting.

2x 1200x600 absorbtion panels will be behind my listening position. They should take care of most reflections down to about 500Hz behind me.

To my left, the curtains and couch must sort out whatever reflects off the window panes.
To my right I'm building a fireplace and bookshelves during the next 2 weeks using drywall. The reflection point on my right should now  be more or less  by the fireplace. That which goes in will not reach my ears. What hits the area above the fire place should be dispersed by the mock rock tiles I'm going to put onto the drywall.

First reflection points which I'm  not able to sort for every day listening is the ones behind my soon to be diy ZRT speakers ;D

What can I do there?

What I have got so far is vinyl wallpaper...probably little to no inpact on sound, but the wife likes it..

Bass
Behind the drywall firplace, I'm putting some of the rigid fibreglass panels. There will be a nice air gap of 250mm behind the bookshelves and 600mm behind the fireplace that will improve the effectiveness of the panels by about a factor of 4, according to mister Winer.

Echo type reflection in side the fireplace? Not sure myself...

Actual bass traps may be a problem. Hence I batted for a ottoman (following Audiomuzes report on inproved  bass response after getting some ottomans). What I am doing, is putting half a roll of Think Pink in the ottoman...shhhhh. ;)

Also, in the corner next to the speaker, I'm doing a little diy side table whose base is hollow with the other half of the Think Pink roll inside. ;) This took a bit of convincing....
No convincing needed for the under cover work though, another full roll of Think Pink inside the couch! That will have to happen late at night I think!

Luckily the door opening is next to my listening position so bass build-up is not bad to my right. Not much I can do there anyway.

So....any advice or additional comments?

The ceiling is notty pine covered with Rhinoboard so reflection off there is probably a problem. No....pannels are not going to fly there. ;D

Floor is a fairly thickish carpet with underfelt.

Attachments

• listening room.jpg
    listening room.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 233

Latest posts