Unexplained sub drone, and receiver cut out.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubble_boy

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I finally got my tv stand this week, so on Tuesday evening I decided to go ahead and set everything up.

Now there are 2 things that are happening that is strange.

First off, my sub has no for the past 2 evenings, just been droning all of a sudden. And this after we went to bed and slept for an hour or so. What could this be? surely it not the cable, as it will do it the whole time then? The first time it happened was after the power came on again on Tuesday night. Again, I switched the receiver and all off after the power came on and went to bed. Now, the droning is really loud . The windows were rattling on the other side of our house.

Secondly. The Receiver (yamaha rxv1700) just switches off. This has also happened twice. First while I was setting up my speaker again after moving them. It got to the auto test whoop whoop whoop ... part, and it was extremely loud! then it switched off as the test started (dont know why the volume suddenly went up).

Second time, last night. I was demoing the system to a friend. Saving private ryan, omaha beach scene. Suddenly a huge explosion on screen, and as soon as that happens the thing cuts off. Now I think I need to mention, I was demoing the sound with the receiver set to 0db, normal dvd viewing for us is -5 to about -10db with going down to -20db in the late evenings,  we don't want to disturb the neighbours too much. :)

I immediately after that felt the air over and around the receiver, and it really didn't even feel warm to me. So I am thinking no overheating probs?

I am running my 2 dvd players from the receivers powerports at the back. All my equipment are connected to one wall socket. Could this be the prob? The things connected are: SXRD tv, DSTV decoder (normal one), xbox360(not on at the time) , receiver, sub, dvd player 1 and 2.

the speaker are Kef IQ7 x2 front, IQ1 x2 rear, IQ6c center and pw2500 sub.

All help appreciated.

Latest posts