TV choices

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atjan

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, seeing as we are all in a happy mood and positively feel that the world will treat us well and we won't become Zim soon, I've decided to spend some money. But I know nothing of TVs and such...hence my request for some advice.

My TV room has big windows near the TV, so during the day (when I'm slaving away at work and my kids are watching TV, there's lots of light in the room). Apart from my kids, there's not much TV watching going on. When we do watch TV its DSTV standard definition.

Movies are mostly just normal DVDs although I do have a BlueRay player. Never played BR discs yet though because the CRT doesn't need all that.

Sitting about 3.5-4m from the TV - big couches.

I HATE it when there's fast movements on screen and it looks like a comet. I dislike weird artifacts on screen - like little bits of red/black on the edges of images.

My budget, in these wonderful economic times will not go past about R8k. I'm partial to paying less than R7k. But then again....

So far, I've not gone to shops and looked because I know they set those things up to look brilliant in shop but I want something that will look more natural rather than hyper realistic.

These are the ones in my budget that seems to get reasonable reviews:
Sony Bravia KDL-46BX450
Samsung UN46EH5000
Samsung Ps43e490 (I've added this guy because it gets good reviews and is plasma rather than LCD. A bit smaller but I'm not sure how much of a diffs it will make.)

Is there other options I can look at? I know Panasonic gets good reviews but they have almost no on-line presence in SA)

Thanks!