Tough,Really Tough

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Remember  national sevice in  the Army? Did you go there? If you can still remember a multidigit number ending in BG in the middle of the night  but forget your wife?s name,you did that 2 years.If the Armie thought they could use your possible skills ,They allowed you to go to University first.

At  University you learned how much liquor your body can hold, that it is impossible to flood a toilet with an urn and that a Renault 5 can go around a corner on one wheel but nothing else.Oh no, there was one thing: If you studied Medicine you very early on learned that if you really don?t know how to solve a problem you ask a Staff Nurse,not a sister ,a senior doctor or godforbid the matron, a Staff Nurse.

In the Armee you ask a Staff Sergeant,not a troep,not an officer or godforbid a sergeant major,a Staff Sergeant. So when I asked The Staf to teach me the  proper way to drive a Unimog ,he pulled a  face and said? It?s a Mercedes you know, better use a Samil 20-much better.? So when one horrible night we had to pull a very sick guy out of Southern Angola, the air force said ?NO!?, the commander said ?NO? but the Koevoet sergeant said ?Let?s GO? . The tiffy Staff Sergeant pulled a face and said ? They are going to take a Casspir - You know it is a a Mercedes? Sorry doc, was nice knowing you?

Len Deighton once wrote that beyond a certain point in the Sahara there were only 2 vehicles: Peugeot 504s and bull nose Mercedes Benz trucks.Bearing that in mind and really not trusting modern Peugeots, when my my Volvos XC something?s suspension collapsed, my Range Rover did what Range Rovers do or don?t do (like start and go), my BMW X5 elliciited one too many middle finger and my Mercedes ML took on the stance of a three legged crab cos Jasper ,the Yorkie, chewed off it?s air line. I went tough, I mean really tough.

I got this

And man its had to do some horrible things

Been to horrible places

Look at it here on this awful terrain.

But where is the spare wheel? Oh! See the plate that holds it broke. ,and the spare wheel cover fell off, and the seat cover broke -twice and the sun roof switch broke-twice. All of that due to my natural born stupidity -especially that half inch thick Austrian steel plate. Naturally that is not covered by anything but oh what the heck,it?s a Mercedes Benz.

Moral of the story? Always trust a Staff Sergeant or a Staff Nurse,they know best,maybe not all but damn close to all.