To center or CENTER, what is the question?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerehceH

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi again

So, parallel to my dilemma regarding stereo/AVR combos and all that goes with it, I would like to find out from the learned folk out there what is deemed to be the correct etiquette regarding the fabled center channel. I know this is a very subjective topic and I know much has been written on the interwebs including, probably, this forum, but I would just like a second/third/millionth opinion.

I know the C in LCR has the function of anchoring the dialogue frequency range in a multi channel setup. And, hey presto, it does just that. BUT. What I battle with, in a smallish room, is the sheer size of the HTM61S1 that I have to live with in order to match the 683 mains. I have been trying to de-clutter the room, and the 17kg behemoth did nothing to make my life easier. As a trial, I bought a KEF T301c  purely to feed the de-cluttering need. It fits perfectly against the wall and takes up no space compared to its fat step-cousin lounging around on the cabinet (read ON the cabinet cos its too big to be IN the cabinet).

Sound-wise: Most of my listening is stereo so, to me, the nuances of timbre matching and blah blah "fall on deaf ears". Naturally, there is a difference between the 2, and yes, there is that lack of depth when matched with the mains. I guess my question is... is there anyone else out there who is happy to settle with the same sub-standard experience or should we remain purist about this and sacrifice that extra couch and 1:8th scale oil tanker model just to indulge that 5% of listening experience and say "Bruce Willis sounds slightly less tinny than he did yesterday"?

Either way, who wants to buy a mint condition center speaker? lol

Latest posts