The validity of audio measurement

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Before I start with my post I want to make it clear that this is not aimed at any one in particular, although the subject is one that has been bothering me for a while.

On to my post

In my opinion most audio measurements are useless unless they are based on known standards and variables.

The response curve taken of a speaker in a room tells me nothing unless I know the actual response of
1: the speaker
2: the room
3: the mic
and I know the weighting scale used, the level at which the measurements were made and I know where the mic was placed.

I know through experience ( i have spent a small fortune on various measurement devices) that by adjusting any number of variables I can get almost any graph from a system.

More often than not producing a good looking frequency response graph has more to do with a persons knowledge of how to manipulate the measurement device than their knowledge of acoustics.

Also in my opinion programs designed to predict modal response in rooms are hugely flawed as they base their calculations on a set of figures that vary by more than 10 %. (speed of sound at sea level +- 340 m/s-- versus calculated speed of sound in GP of +- 380m/s). This may not seem much but it is the difference between sitting in the right or wrong seat.

Measurement tool can be great when used correctly but in many instances they are used for the wrong reasons.

Let the flaming begin ;D ;D