The psychological use or functions of music and how these might be correlated with personality.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
In a previous thread, I probed about the meaning music might have for each one of us. Call it a preliminary exploration of the topic, and the answers were rich and interesting.

https://www.avforums.co.za/threads/meaning-of-music.102672/
Subsequently, I thought I should call on the help of my librarian, not the youtube kind, but a search for scholarly articles that could shed some light on the topic more systematically and scientifically. As often is the case with social research, especially quality research, the results are not groundbreaking. More often, it feels as if the results affirm what we already know; it only provides structure or hooks so we can work with it and move to the next level. I found two articles that I think fall into this category, and the results reported are similar, although the methodology used was not 100% the same. So if you would give me some latitude for posting on a forum and therefore not keeping to strict academic standards, I will share the main takeaways, and then for those who want to read more, I will give the citations at the end. I will do it also in probably two separate posts, the 1st focusing on what the research indicates the high-level psychological functions are and the 2nd post trying to share the slightly more complicated results regarding how these functions might be correlated with personality types/traits.

Last edited: