Meaning of Music

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking of late, triggered by the process of compiling the playlists for the CTHFE with a group of friends, what the meaning of music is for each of us. I am sure most, in not all, of the forum members will agree that the equipment and the sound are, respectively, the drivers and links between the music and its meaning of it. We are all used to chatting and posting about the equipment and also the sound, but I think very seldom do we get to the meaning of music, be it in the general sense or of a specific piece of music. Now and again, we might say, "it is a great song, or I hate this or that genre, but I am curious to hear from forumites what music means to them on a personal level.

So let's chat about the meaning of music on a personal level. Does music comfort you, inspire or psych you up, awaken memories of lost loves or sweet memories of childhood? One of the takeaways of the process mentioned above was that we once again realised just how personal and subjective music for each one of us is. What we like or enjoy is as much a fingerprint of our uniqueness as our real fingerprints.

It would be lovely to hear those personal stories about the meaning of music to you, of course, with the music referenced so we can all explore it.