The Latest Movie surround sound formats explained

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morne Coetzee

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Is there someone knowledgeable enough to explain ONLY the latest best 5 or so movie formats to consider when buying an AV receiver within the next year considering the following factors below?
I already have a 7.1 surround with a 75 inch 4K TV with HDR, when I upgrade this I will also include the 8K PS5 and 8K TV. 
But it seems there are now so many formats/codecs that even manufacturers like Rotel stopped including all and only feature those they feel the flavour of the month and stick with them.
As I understand the latest receivers are also dropping the last 20 or so older formats so upscaling options like pro logic II X for delivering 7 channels surround from 5 channels media will disappear from the software onboard.
Can we stick to only lossless formats?
Can we maybe explain all the Atmos versions like DTS X vs Dolby Atmos?
Can we then look at IMAX and Auro 3D?
Are there new formats for the 2020 year planned?
Are all these formats versions of uncompressed sound or True HD?
What is the highest bandwith hdmi cable you will need to support the most demanding of these formats?
What hdmi protocol is needed on all devices involved to support the most extreme of these formats including 8K and all versions of HDR if you were to buy the latest 8K TV with surround sound today?
Does such a receiver exist in theory or will you have to choose the receiver that offers your favourite format?
How many channels will be enough in a small to medium size theatre 12, 14 , 16 or more?
Please note this receiver needs to at least do all the transcoding on board without the need for an external player or plex hosting service since I have yet to meet a smart TV or NAS server with that kind of processing power onboard.
And please no DIY HT PC, it must be an off the shelf receiver/music/video streamer or stand alone processor.
Are there any commercial processors from companies like Lexicon that would be more suited for this?

With all that said which media will be likely to deliver all of this, streaming subscriptions, or multi layer/ holographic UHD Bluray or Native Digital copies on a LAN NAS/DAS for content in terms of:
1. 8K uncompressed video with anyone of the HDRs available.
2. Hi Res uncompressed sound
3. In which surround sound format?

Are there even commercial theatres in the world that offer all of these or a version of these that can be considered a reference standard. It all seems just a big mess to me, that even if you wanted to put together a system like this it only exists on paper?

I found this, (https://youtu.be/DFmhbNAUcrs) but the explanations are very basic, they do however say that streaming is unable to deliver true HD sound, so I can only imagine the limitations with video, maybe 5G with resolve some of it going forward however I doubt it will fix all of the issues with the next generation, will we be moving backwards from what is currently technically possible?

Latest posts