The corner of my office

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jamster

OK, so I got fedup trying to get my system to sound good in my lounge, so I tried it out in my office, which is about 4,5x5,5 metres, sloping cieling from 3 to 2.5,m.

It sounds MUCH better. Bass was a little lean so I got hold of a B&W ASW800 - after experimenting with positioning it is placed to the side of the room (the DYnaudios use 6dB/Oct crossovers, I am guessing that is why a 90 degree off axis placement works).

The system is, quite simply, astounding. Never realised how good this stuff actually is. To give you an example, the Musical FIdelity F19 produces 200 RMS into 4 Ohms running pure class A. Makes a lot of heat, too - good thing the room is airconditioned.

IMG_0003.jpg

System breakdown is as follows (in reverse order)

Dynaudio Contour 2.8 (maybe replaced by Logan CLS once Heinz's estate gets back to me on a set of panels I have paid for)
Synergistic Research Alpha Quad speaker cable (most neutral stuff I have ever used, and not badly priced at R400 per metre - easily a match for my VdH revelation)
Musical Fidelity F19 Power amp
Straight Wire Virtuoso balanced interconnects
MF F25 preamp
Transparent Ultra interconnects
Shanling CDT100 (don't care what anyone (Joel :p) says - this CD player knocks ten types of shit out of anything even close to its price)
Rega Planar 3 with OM320 cartridge (still for sale in spite of massive interest, a good basic machine but I want something better)
Louis' Vibrapods scattered around (can't even feel a vibration on the power amp - even though it is on top of the sub  :-[

I am using the system more than any high end kit I have had in the past - including my WIlson/Krell/Wadia stuff. Sitting at my desk listening to proper music has to be one of the most productive luxuries I have ever had.

Now I just need to get my stand (Lime Green and off-white manufactured by the Lerange), and I am good to go.