Surprise surprise.... another IB?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma_2k4

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been VERY tempted to start messing around and do an IB build because I LOVE low frequency extension and think it would totally rock! :)

So, what I have been playing around is as follows:
Amp : Crown XTi range - probably the 1000 series (thanks Ian for the guidance etc, and moving me away from a plate amp idea)
http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xti.htm
Sub(s) : Fi Car audio - IB3 - 18's or 15's and a number of them. I have seen awesome reviews of these subs and they are purpose built for IB usage.
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154f4e2cf62a9ba/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0050_IB3/product_overview.shopscript

Specs are here (18" version):

IB318

SINGLE 2 | SINGLE 4

Fs: 22.3 Hz | 22.5 Hz
Re: 1.5 Ohms/coil | 2.8 Ohms/coil
Qms: 3.33 | 3.41
Qes: ..81 | .77
Qts: .65 | .62
Mms: 272g | 270g
Sd: 1210cm^2 | 1210cm^2
Vas: 381 l | 381 l
Spl: 89.1dB 1W/1m | 89.4dB 1W/1m
Bl: 8.43 N/A | 11.8 N/A
Xmax: 30mm 
Rms: 550W @ 20Hz 
Sealed box: Infinite Baffle Only 
Ported box: N/A
Sub OD: 18.500? 
Cut ID: 16.750? 
Mounting depth: 9.500? 
Displacement: 0.22cuft 

OK, so, a few points to note:
1. I currently live in Tanzania, so getting things are hard. I am very lucky and can import things from the SU for free thru a friend, or I can get stuff from SA and bring up with colleagues or my regular business trips. Hence, if you can find the product on Amazon I'll probably be more keen to go for it ;-)
2. I am renting an apartment, so I am not going to cut HUGE holes in the walls
3. I have no idea what I am doing so am keen to learn
4. I love DIY, so really don't mind that aspect at all.
5. I know that placement will be quite an important aspect for space, practicality etc.

I have attached some pics of my lounge below:
dscf1834m.jpg

dscf1841h.jpg

dscf1842y.jpg

dscf1843e.jpg

dscf1845h.jpg

Now, I have a few options:

1. Coffeetable IB - Not so keen, not keen on coffee tables, then will have cables running over the floor too as I won't lift any tiles
2. Next to the couch - also not keen, not enough space and like my couch centred :p
3. In the small area leading up to the guest bathroom, acousticly probably the best place - most likely option
4. In the space between the office and front door - not so keen, it's quite far from the lounge, long cable runs too. Not tested acousticly.

I was thinking of doing something simple, with loads of free air spaces on the sides and using speaker cloth to cover (preferably white if I can find) so it doesn't look ridiculous.

Here's a quick sketchup of 2 ideas for the area between the guest shitter and lounge:

Subs facing the lounge

2 options:

Legend:
Dark blue, meant to be square 1"x1" struts for support
Lightblue, solid MDF panle, probably 2 x 16mm
Orange circle - subs

OK, this has all the subs vertical, firing into the lounge. It's less deep then the other option so might make better sense in terms of space utilisation (ie not getting in the way of people going to the bathroom). I can attach it to the wall for strength and lack of vibrations. However, with all the subs facing the same direction there would be SERIOUS vibration and strain, I would have to build something incredibly strong to hold this. This depth would be approx 0.3metres

The amp could be in the cupboard OR built into the structure.

Subs facing apart from each other, vertically

This would have the opposite movement of the subs cancelling out ridiculious pulls and vibration on the structure, but would take up more space in the sense that the subs have to come their full width away from the wall. This depth would be approx 0.6metres

The amp could be in the cupboard OR built into the structure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some questions:
1. Is it worth having 4x 18's or is that severe overkill?
2. If I did go for 4 x 18's, would the Crown XTi 1000 have enough juice to drive them? The subs I am looking at are rated @ 550W RMS but I doubt I would want to get anywhere even close to their max! 4 of those means I would need to wire them to 4ohms (not a problem) and then at full tilt on the amp they would each be getting 350W RMS (1400W / 4, still a HUGE amount!), even with the amp at a much lower load they will be getting loads of juice!

So, any idea's thought, feedback etc before I start being a nutcase and ordering stuff... LOL.

:)