STUMPED - MY NEW YAMAHA A-S500 INTEGRATED HAS NO PRE-OUTS - WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAPPA3

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I just got the Yamaha A-S500 Integrated amp yesterday (brand new).  I didn't do my homework on this one.  I thought it had pre-outs, but it doesn't.  I traded pair of Quad 99 monoblocks from 'musicman' thinking I'd hook the Yamaha up to them.  Now I have the Quads sitting pretty, and silently.  The problem isn't huge because the Yamaha drives my Monitor Audio RS6s easily.  I was hoping to set up a power amp/amp set-up with the Yamaha and the Quads.  Now my alternatives are:

1. Sell/trade the Yamaha for a good pre-amp and use the replacement pre with the Quad monoblocks
2. Keep the Yamaha and sell the Quad monoblocks since the Yamaha doesn't need more power.  It has plenty in reserve. 

Another matter re the Yamaha.  It's new, so I guess I should expect the midrange to open a bit over the next 2-3 months, right?  It already has rich, full-bodied sound.  Just needs to open in the midrange a bit. 

I'm also using cheapie cables on it.  This is also probably a culprit suppressing the mids.  What cables would you suggest I use?  I'm using the Musical Fidelity A3 CDP with the Monitor Audio RS6s.  The MF tends to be neutral, but could be a bit bright with the wrong matching.  There's no problem with bass from any of the components, but ideally I'd like some more control.  I'm not keen to go overboard with cable prices though.

Latest posts