Sony MZ-RH1 OLED fail? Replacement portable recorder.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanudal

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I have owned a Sony MZ-RH1 for a few years and the left OLED has faded to nothing today. I see Sony no longer make parts and trying to find a spare online is impossible. I bought this MD recorder to transfer my disks to my laptop using Sonic. The unit records really well and may be end of life if I can not fix it. This is a pity as they sell for $1200 - $1700 on eBay. For that price I can buy a new Sony PCM D100 brand new.

I am not sure if anyone knows how to repair an OLED or do they die forever. Someone else told me to look for an old Sony NWS205F Walkman as it has the same OLED. Trying to find one seems hard as well.

I loved using my Sony MZ-RH1 for live classical music recordings in our Cathedral using a single Audio-Technica AT9440 microphone. It works very well with this unit. The MZ-RH1 has low noise and an excellent DAC.

I bought a Shure MV88 a few year ago and it is fairly good, however a phone is not the best device for recording. A dedicated recording machine is much better. I had a Tascam as well and have used Zoom products.

The Sony PCM D100 records in high res and DSD. I would love to know what other people use and love. Thank you

Latest posts