Some AV issues, - Please advise

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaheenk

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am new here but many of you know me from other forums and social media.

I have an issue or rather a few issues with my AV setup and wondering if someone can assist or advise.

Let me first layout my mediocre set up.

1. AV Receiver - Pioneer VSX-2020
2. Front stage - Dali  Ikon 6
3. Woofer Dali Sub - E9
4. Centre is Dali Ikon
5. Rears Dali Fazons Mikro

TV is an older Sony unit - KLD-NX703

Turntable is a Project Essential coupled to a Thorens Preamp

I have a Pioneer Blu ray player and PS3 in the mix as well.

Added I have DSTV (HD unit with 3 record setup , model number escapes me)

So let me list the problems .

1. My AV is setup in a 5.1 setup with the fronts on Bi-Amp , this is a setting on the AV receiver which allows me to give more power to the fronts , all good and well when playing anything which is not on HDMI , if I power the unit up and have any of the HDMI inputs or the Ipod/IPad the unit defaults into 7.1 or some other output mode which means only the high section of the fronts play. I have to manually go into the settings of the AV , it shows Bi-Amp but I need to change to another output style (zone2 typically as its the next one ) then back to bi-amp for the fronts to play full range. This is not a problem for me , more a nuisance , however when my folks are at home they dont know how to work it and I am scared that they will turn the volume up because .........the fronts are too soft on anything stereo on DSTV, Dolby works fine and the centre plays , but stereo it is not. If I power the unit up in Phono (DVD) using the RCA inputs from the Thorens it does not do this.

2. PS3 seems to be flaky as hell , power it up and play a game or a movie and during the pay it will black screen on me about 4 times , then decide it wants to behave and be fine , why is the stupid thing doing this, pet peeve as you busy on a movie and then nothing .......

3. Volume on DSTV seems to be really low, I have a range from -80Db to +20Db or something on the receiver, I have found -30db to be the happy spot, however on some shows and some channels it simply is not enough. What can be done ..

4. DSTV decoder complains about HDCP when the receiver is powered off......stupid DSTV

5. I want to set up the remote for the AV to power the TV and the Blue Ray if possible, however I cannot seem to find the code for either. Driving me insane having so many freaking remotes.

6. HDMI control is not happy on DSTV or all devices, if I power up the PS3 it powers up the TV but not the AV. If I power up the AV it wont power up the TV.

Any suggestions ???

Latest posts